Monday, June 25, 2012

2 Weeks Out

Manahoana family and friends!

It seems to be a staple of just about every Peace Corps volunteer to create a blog to let the western world (or maybe just a few close family members) know what their 27 months of service is like. For those of you who don't already know, I leave for my adventure in Madagascar in two weeks. I doubt any of my entries will top the comedy of a Zebra who sounds like Chris Rock, but I will do my best to entertain while explaining life in Madagascar.

I don't have too much to report, but here is a quick update on where I am in the pre-departure process. Right now, I am collecting all the essentials for the next two years. Next week, I'll start packing and then I leave for Philadelphia on July 9th. In Philly, I will meet the 25 other volunteers headed for Madagascar. We will get a quick orientation regarding our first few days in country along with a few more vaccinations. That same night we take a bus to New York to board a flight for South Africa and then Madagascar.

Very excited for the 9th, but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the last few weeks I have with my family. Here are a few things I will miss out on in the next two years....

  • Jared's graduation (I missed Matt's, too. I'm just a shitty brother)
  • Watching/Playing Hockey (Welcome to Detroit, Zach Parise)
  • The Winter Classic at the Big House
  • HBO's 24/7 leading up to the Winter Classic
  • New Years with the entire family.
  • Toilets
  • The Dark Knight Rises in theaters
  • Miami dismantling Notre Dame at Soldier Field
  • Tailgating at Soldier Field with my Hurricane family
  • Fantasy Football
  • Peiser's Wedding (Congratulations, buddy)

That's all for now. My next post will likely be from the other side of the world.

4 comments:

  1. Rore,

    Love the blog! Great way to keep in touch and posted on your activities!!

    Best of Luck! Toilets!LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great time Rory. Your blog is on my RSS feed.
    Richard's sister Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ror

    We just got your letter in the mail, not to worry, it will go to good use. Dana is curious why her women's health subscription mysteriously and suddenly ceased once you left for Madagascar... A tad but suspicious if you ask me, eh? Anyway, we're chilling in little Haiti and missing you bud. Hope you brought your racquet, you better be practicing so we can hit the courts when you return. Ben says he loves you.

    Much love
    Ben, Dana, and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made Jambalaya tonight... thought you you pal. Hope Madagascar is treating you like a rock star!

    ReplyDelete